For this project TRC teamed up with Brave and Curious to provide a small, yet experienced and focused, strategic town revitalisation and tourist accommodation feasibility planning team for the Wimmera Mallee region of north-west Victoria.
The Wimmera Mallee has a unique beauty showcasing a taste of real Australia. Widely regarded as the agricultural heart of Victoria, it pairs natural attractions together with frontier towns and warm country hospitality.
The purpose of this work was to provide the four Wimmera Mallee regional shires – Yarriambiack, Hindmarsh, Buloke and West Wimmera – with a clear, practical and meaningful spatial and tourism strategy for town and tourist park development direction, backed by feasibility investigations and costings.
Our collaborative strategy development approach was:
- Project initiation, desktop assessment and project engagement strategy
- Site visits and collaborative design workshops
- Draft report, stakeholder review and final Wimmera Mallee Town and Tourism Strategy.
The TRC and Brave and Curious team delivered:
– 16 clear, aspirational and considered town revitalisation plans
– 24 caravan park strategic accommodation plans
– A Wimmera Mallee regional tourism vision plan
– A strategic level tourism feasibility, including recommendations to inform expected visitor profile numbers, accommodation type and required level of amenity for each park accommodation site
– A strategic level town revitalisation feasibility, including recommendations to inform spatial directions expenditure and staging priorities.
Programs, networks and projects were listed that formed a set of recommended approaches across the region. These were relevant at a region-wide level as they would contribute to reinforcing the regional character of the visitor experience.
Watch project video here